Friday, June 23, 2006

A Love To Kill ~ Guilty!

Rain’s drama A Love To Kill started airing last Monday June 19, 2006 after a very hyped tri-media promotion of the network that brought the rights to the drama. The drama was dubbed in the local dialect “Tagalog” and their names changed as well. Bogku became Rainier, Da Jung is now Jona while Eun Suk was renamed Kathleen.

I have to be upfront in saying that I’ve only watched a few minutes of the pilot episode and that’s about it. Mainly because watching tv is my bonding moment with my daughter and she is more interested in the happenings of America’s Next Top Model Season 4. She allowed me to surf between commercial breaks but I lost interest after two tries and watched reality television instead. I did ask my mother to tune in because she is also of fan of Rain after watching Full House so ratings wise we did contribute *starting to feel guilty*

The following day I got calls and sms messages from friends on their take on the drama. For those like me who already watched the Korean version with an English subtitle they liked how the first and second episode was edited to make the story’s flow more simple to understand. It was therefore a surprise to hear that ratings wise it did not meet our expectations. I will not dwell much on the why’s because a friend of mine already posted her own take on the matter and you can check it here.

It’s just my wish that it will pick-up after a week or until they show him already working as a bodyguard. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss Cheah said...

Hi Marissa,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your comment. I was tied up with the oral defence of my Masters in education dissertation.
In Malaysia, Ijuksa is not shown over the local stations. I managed to get hold of the DVDs with the English subtitles. Due to my academic commitments, I have yet to finish watching the series but from what I have watched, I am agreement with you and many others that the first couple of episodes were rather confusing. However, I found them to be interesting.
Rain, the actor, has managed to portray a darker and moodier character in contrast to those of his earlier works. This actually augurs well for his acting career as I feel I(when it comes to him I admit to being biased)that he has widened his range. I am sure that the character that he takes on in the movie that he is shooting now would again differ and showcase more of his abilities.

Li Na

5:14 PM  
Blogger marissa said...

Li Na,

Acting wise I have to agree that he showed more depth and it's not his fault that ratings wise it did not meet even his own expectations.

I find a lot of flaws in the script to the point that when I was watching the drama during IJUKSA's showing in Korea I was tearing my hair from frustration.

Even Rain expressed his disappointment in how the script came out after countless revisions. It was also why the initial plan to extend the drama to 20 episodes was later scrapped.

But for a Rain fan whose a little picky on what we watch then try your best to finish it if only for the sake of seing our man act.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Miss Cheah said...

Will do!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Miss Cheah said...

Hi Marissa,
I timed it so that I would finish watching the last episode of Ijuksa on Rain's birthday. I thoroughly enjoyed the drama; confusion, discrepencies, cliches, flaws and all. The telegenic main cast was, of course, eye candy but they turned in credible performances albeit the flawed script. Rain was indeed a revelation the way he portrayed the emotionally tortured protagonist. However, I am of the opinion that the chemistry between him and the female lead failed to match the intensity and sizzle that he had with the girl in Full House.
Kudos to this twenty-four year old South Korean actor for a fine performance. And Happy Birthday to him.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home